Saturday, May 9, 2009

Flu

Raymont hasn't been feeling well since Wednesday night. We just thought that it could be a sinus infection or just allergies. By Thursday afternoon Rav called to inform me that Raymont wasn't doing very well and wasn't sure whether he should take him to the doctor or not. I offered to stop by their house and check up on Raymont. Sure enough Raymont was very warm and he just looked awful, so we went to Urgent Care. They took Raymont's temperature and he was 103.4. They decided to take a nasal swab to see if he has the flu. Raymont was tested positive Influenza A virus which some of the antibodies are in the swine flu. I was immediately escorted out of the room as they say it wasn't a good idea for me to be there.

The urgent care doctor placed all of us on the antiviral medication Tamiflu. I had to wait till I got home to talk to my doctor to see if it was okay to take this drug as this has not been tested on women who are pregnant. My doctor said it was okay for me to take it but I have an appointment with her on Monday to make sure Kathryn and I are okay.

Raymont went back to urgent care Friday because they forgot to take a nasal swab to send to the Health Department. They will do additional testing to see if Raymont has the swine flu. It takes about 3-5 days for the results to come back.

I checked up on Raymont yesterday and he seemed to be doing better since being on the medication. He was still warm and coughing. I wasn't near him very much as the doctors have told me that with my condition it is best to avoid him the next 7 days. It'll be my first mothers day without him. :(

I talked to Raymont today and he sounds good. He said he was playing with Nonya (his dog) and that he took his medicine all by himself (they're pills and it's his first time taking medicine pill format.) He says he misses me and I told him the same thing and I can't wait to see him. Rav said that Raymont is doing a lot better but that he is still coughing. At least he no longer has a fever. Steve stopped by to check on Raymont to make sure he was okay too.

Because they did not prescribe antibiotics to Raymont, he is still contagious until he has completed the Tamiflu prescription. After he is done with the medicine, as long as he does not have a fever and is no longer coughing, he'll be able to go back to school. So the latest he will be able to go back is Thursday.