Saturday, May 16, 2009

False Alarm

I was at work Thursday when all of a sudden I sneezed. It was a violent sneeze. It was enough for me to have pain around my pelvic area that did not go away even as I was getting up. Actually I couldn't get up because I was in so much pain. Work called 911 and the fire department and ambulance came. I had to go to the hospital just to be on the safe side. While I was there I had what they called "uterine irritability" which are little contractions. I had big ones at least four during the hour. They gave me an injection that would help calm the contractions down.

Doctor came to examine me because I was still having the contractions. Right now my cervix is closed but only at 50%. My cervix is already beginning to thin out. I've been placed on bed rest for the rest of the week to make sure my contractions are under control. I'm still getting contractions but they are about 2-3 an hour. They want to at least keep Kathryn in for another 2-3 weeks. My doctor informed me that by week 36 or 37 if I go into preterm labor, they are not going to stop it. Sounds like Kathryn may be coming out a little early than what we expect. My next doctor's appt is this upcoming Thursday.

Work has been really understanding and will work out with what they can to have me do light work until Kathryn is born.

With the pain in my pelvic area when I sneezed, it was a pulled muscle but who would have known that this was happening in the meantime. I've been having contractions for a couple of weeks now but didn't know that I am close to giving birth.